Legal Advice for Young People

The Youth Lawyers at South West Brisbane Community Legal Centre provide advice, advocacy, representation and education about legal rights to young persons under the age of 18 focusing on the following areas:

  • Youth Justice
    • attending police interviews, cautions and youth justice conferences
    • bail applications
    • sentences
    • summary trials
    • committal hearings
    • trials
    • making or defending applications for transfer to adult prisons from juvenile detention
    • witnesses and complainants
  • Child protection
    • direct representation in child protection matters
    • representation at family group meetings and in case planning discussions
    • child protection information kits for parents, community workers and kinship carers
  • School issues
  • Domestic violence
  • General advice on legal rights for young people
  • Law reform
  • Community Legal Education
  • Talks in schools and community organisations.

If you are a young person who would like to get legal advice or you are a parent, friend, youth worker or anyone else concerned for a young person, please contact the South West Brisbane Legal Centre to make an appointment or to discuss how to access legal help.

Your Legal Rights

In trouble with the Police? Remember this!!

1. Stay calm. Do not argue. Do not be aggressive or violent, as this can make things a lot worse. You have to give your correct name, address and age to the Police. After that, you have the right to remain silent.

2. Get legal advice before agreeing to do an interview. You can refuse to be interviewed until you have seen a lawyer and then if necessary arrange an interview afterwards.

3. If you are stopped by the Police, or asked to go with them, calmly ask them:

Am I free to go? If not, why not?  Am I under arrest?

4. You can refuse to allow them to take your photo, your fingerprints, your height or your shoe size unless you have been arrested or they have a court order.

5. If you think you are being treated unfairly or unlawfully, ask for the officer’s name, and contact us about making a complaint.

6. If you are charged with an offence you will be given a date when your matter will be heard at court. Try to get legal advice before going to court. At court you can try to see the duty lawyer or adjourn (postpone) your court matter to get legal advice if necessary.

Legal Education for Young People

We visit community groups, schools or other interested organisations to provide free legal education about the rights and responsibilities of children and young people and the common legal problems that they may face. 

Please contact South West Brisbane Legal Centre to arrange a booking.